No products were found matching your selection.
Hammer is a very useful medical device used by orthopedic doctors to test the performance of the tendons connecting the lower part of the legs with the thighs. The reaction of the leg when the knee joint gets a slight knock with the instrument will indicate to the doctor if there is any problem with that area. It is just like any other hammer in function but the head is very soft as it is made of rubber which results in painless examination. There are various types of hammers available for the use of doctors.
Reflex hammers are another name by which these hammers are known. The tendons in the legs become weak as years pass by and some people experience the difficulties while walking and living regular life. To help such people and situation, doctors have developed assorted methods of treatment to help them relieve them of their physical constraint. The usage of Knee hammer is one of the parts which can ease out patients with joint pains and arthritis.
How to use a reflex hammer?
The reflex hammer is held by the handle, particularly close to the end opposite the head, with the head resting on the tendon which you propose to test. Ensure that the head is correctly lined up relative to the ligament. The hammer should be detained against the ligament for some time so that the person being examined does not know when to expect the reflex. The hammer is now taken back and bounce on the ligament. It is important to make certain that the hammer has a great velocity at the moment of impact (but don’t use too much force to evade hurting the ligament) and that it bounces off the muscle, rather than staying in contact with it. The action should be very quick. It is usually completed in about a second.
While a reflex hammer, it is important to hold on to the following recommendations:
1. The strength of your stimulus must be enough to draw out a reflex and be kept regular to provide for a reproducible response.
2. Use the slightest amount of force that is needed to draw out a definitive and consistent response.
3. Do not carry on striking the patient if you fail to draw out a response with appropriate and repeated testing.
4. If pointed out, repeat each test 5 to 10 times in order to normalize the point of contact and force, confirm reproducibility of the reaction, and identify changes that may occur with repeated testing that are a function of pathology.
Some popular Hammers available:
1. Niscomed Knee Hammer with Pin & Brush (PW-402):- This is a very easy to use Hammer for doctors and surgeons to look up the fracture and ruptures in the bones without hurting the patients. The device also comes in useful when doctors are not able to contact the joints be it legs, knee or foot.
2. Pulse Wave Knee Hammer T Type (PW-404):- This tool is not at all harsh on the knees. Both the sides of the hammer are crafted with rubber tips, with one a little bigger than the other. The build quality of the hammer is exceptional and redefines its functioning. It has smooth finish all over the surface and is not much expensive as well.
3. Pulse Wave Knee Hammer T Type (PW-404):- This reflex hammer is very efficient to check a person’s reflex responses. There is a circle shaped rubber tools is built on the top which performs like the hammer and a fine built stick is attached with a circle shaped rubber disk which is the hammer head. The product is very light weight and safe to use with matte finish and smooth surface.
The reflex hammer is a common medical instrument used for eliciting the response of deep tendon reflexes. Most people know a reflex hammer as the tool that a doctor uses to tap a patient underneath the kneecap, but they can also be used on other parts of the body. Testing for reflexes is an essential part of the neurological physical investigation in order to identify abnormalities in the central or peripheral nervous system. Testing for deep tendon reflexes using a reflex hammer is a very simple operation can be done easily without any hassle.